Per Diem Information
CATA-CAAD Athletic Trainer Clearinghouse Procedures
Background & Rationale
The Connecticut Athletic Trainers' Association (CATA) and its officers have been consistently approached by external entities seeking referral to licensed Athletic Trainers (ATs) for per diem work. The Connecticut Association of Athletic Directors (CAAD) approached the CATA about collaborative effort to provide a resource for Secondary School Athletic Directors seeking to identify and hire licensed Athletic Trainers for per diem athletic training services. The CATA has agreed to this collaboration for the following reasons:
A CATA-CAAD clearinghouse will:
1. Provide a service to NATA/CATA members interested in per diem athletic training opportunities
2. Provide a service to CAAD members who need to hire athletic trainers for per diem athletic training services
3. Help to stabilize and set a fair per diem rate for athletic training services
4. Positively promote the CATA and profession of Athletic Training
5. Promote the use of NATA/CATA members for per diem athletic training services in Connecticut
6. Promote the use of Connecticut licensed Athletic Trainers
7. Promote the CATA as a resource among Connecticut public schools
Criteria for AT Eligibility for CATA-CAAD Clearinghouse
Must be a current NATA/CATA member
Must have a current athletic training license in Connecticut
1. The CATA will publicize the clearinghouse among its members and ask members to sign up for the clearinghouse if they are interested. Only members who opt in will be added to the clearinghouse database. Member sign up for this service will be ongoing.
2. The CATA will verify the Connecticut athletic training license initially and provide this information to CAAD.
3. The CATA will update the clearinghouse database regularly, as members opt to be included in the clearinghouse.
4. The CATA will review the status of ATs participating in the clearinghouse no later than September 1 of each academic year and provide this information to CAAD.
5. CATA members who no longer wish to be included in the clearinghouse database must notify the CATA that they wish to opt out of the clearinghouse.
6. CATA will provide oversight of the clearinghouse for Athletic Trainers. ATs who have complaints or issues related to the CATA-CAAD Clearinghouse should report them to a CATA President.
1. CAAD will distribute the clearinghouse database of ATs who are available for hire for per diem opportunities to Athletic Directors.
2. CAAD will provide regular updates of the clearinghouse database to Athletic Directors as they become available.
3. CAAD will provide oversight of the clearinghouse for Athletic Directors. Athletic Directors who have complaints or issues related to the CATA-CAAD Clearinghouse should report them to CAAD Executive Director.
Athletic Director/School Responsibilities
1. The Athletic Director is responsible for contacting potential Athletic Trainers for employment. The Athletic Director agrees to negotiate a per diem rate directly with the AT.
2. The agreed upon per diem rate for the clearinghouse is a rate between $35-$50/hour.
3. The Athletic Director/School is responsible for conducting and paying for any additional screening procedures the school may require (e.g., background checks).
4. The Athletic Director/School is responsible for remitting payment to the AT who has provided per diem athletic training services in a timely manner.
5. The Athletic Director is responsible for ongoing verification of any AT employee's Connecticut AT license. It is recommended that the Athletic Director keep a copy of the AT's Connecticut license on file.
6. If an event is cancelled for any reason, it is the responsibility of the Athletic Director to notify the AT at least 3 hours prior to the time the AT is scheduled to arrive for the event. If an AT arrives at a site and the event has been cancelled, but the AT was not notified of the cancellation, the AT will be paid for the amount of time her or she was originally hired to provide services.
7. The school is responsible for providing necessary athletic training supplies (e.g., tape, first aid items), necessary emergency equipment (e.g., splints, AED), and ice and water at the event site.
8. The Athletic Director is responsible for providing the Athletic Trainer with a copy of the school's emergency action plan for athletics prior to the event.
Athletic Trainer Responsibilities
1. The Athletic Trainer is responsible for maintaining adequate personal professional liability insurance.
2. the Athletic Trainer must maintain membership in the National Athletic Trainers' Association & CATA.
3. The Athletic Trainer is responsible for maintaining a current Connecticut Athletic Training license.
4. The AT should provide a copy of his/her CT current AT license to each employer.
5. If an AT's license lapses for any reason, he or she will not accept employment until the license has been reinstated.
6. if an AT's license lapses for any reason, the AT will opt out of the CATA-CAAD clearinghouse immediately, until the license has been reinstated. At that point, the AT must reapply to the clearinghouse.
7. If an AT has agreed to employment and is unable to meet his or her obligation, the AT must notify the Athletic Director as soon as possible.
8. The AT is personally responsible for arriving at the event at the appropriate time, and for providing services within his or her scope of practice.
9. The AT is responsible for providing his or her own basic athletic training kit.
CATA-CAAD Review Process
1. CATA and CAAD will review and update clearinghouse procedure on a regular basis.
2. CATA and CAAD will review the per diem rate prior to each academic year and notify their respective members of any changes.
3. If either the CATA or CAAD receives a complaint from one of their respective members related to the clearinghouse, the associations will jointly coordinate a response in an effort to resolve any issues resulted to clearinghouse procedures.
4. Participation in the CATA-CAAD Clearinghouse is a member benefit for each respective association. Members who fail to meet the responsibilities outlined above will no longer be eligible to participate in the clearinghouse.
NOTE: Neither the CATA nor CAAD is responsible for scheduling, payment, nor liability issues related to this clearinghouse. The clearinghouse is provided as a member service. Both Athletic Trainers and Athletic Directors/Schools should perform due diligence when hire per diem employees or accepting per diem employment.